As I travel I read. Sadly I read far too many business books! Still the good news I get to share some special books that helped shape my views of how businesses can and should scale. These books will materially improve your understanding of the drivers that will shape your business success. In no particular order here are 14 to consider:
- Great By Choice – Jim Collins, Martin T. Hansen.
- The Checklist Manifesto – Atal Gawande.
- Practically Radical – William C. Taylor
- The Power of Habit – Charles Duhigg.
- Exceptional Selling – Jeff Thull.
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success – Carol Dweck.
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us – Daniel H. Pink.
- To Sell Is Human – Daniel H. Pink.
- Rework – Jason Fried, David Heinemeier Hansson.
- Purple Cow – Seth Godin.
- Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind – Al Ries, Jack Trout. (Over 30 years old and still relevant)
- The Tipping Point – Malcolm Gladwell.
- Blink – Malcolm Gladwell.
- Mavericks At Work – William C. Taylor, Polly LaBarre.
My scaling Playbooks cover the essence of all of these books. Remember scaling a business is not the same as growing a business. Scaling implies alignment, control, predictability, fast growth but done safely. A summary of my Playbooks can be found in my book Fulfilling The Potential of Your Business.